Removal of spilled mercury

rtecRemoval of spilled mercury. A breakage of the thermometer usually causes the mercury to splash into tiny droplets, usually located in the crevices of the table and floor. It is very dangerous to leave them there, because they give off heavy, difficult to air out and constantly renewing mercury vapor. With prolonged action on the human body, they cause serious diseases, appearing seemingly for no reason. Larger droplets should be carefully collected with a pipette – eye dropper – then clean the floor very thoroughly, especially gaps, with a well-pulling vacuum cleaner, using the narrow suction cup. Gaps, whose cleansing does not appear complete, should be covered with powdered sulfur ("Sulfur flower").